If you’ve been following me on my instagram [@ajlimcuando], you probably know that I love to push my body to it’s absolute limit.
But pushing your body to it’s limits comes with proper nutrition and prep. Failure to do so will lead to nasty injuries or sub-optimal performance.
So in today’s article I reveal my exact pre and post workout routine.
PRE / PREP BEFORE WORKOUT
I love to workout in the morning. There’s just something about starting your day with sweat and iron. It’s like sex! Well not really..But it’s an amazing feeling.
So since I workout in the morning, Breakfast for me is crucial. I love lifting heavy, so I consume a ton of slow digesting carbs and lean protein.
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups of instant oatmeal
- 2 cup of water
- 1 cup of coffee
- Just recently i’ve been taking a break from pre-workouts with stimulants. I felt my body was getting way too used to “harsh” pre’s..
- So my solution is to take 2-4 week breaks and substituting them with 2 cups of iced coffee.
- The effects of my workout with ice coffee? It’s definitely not the same..But it’ll do.
POST WORKOUT MEAL / SUPPLEMENTS
Post workout Meal
Alright so obviously meals will vary depending on several factors. Did I go grocery shopping? Do I want to go out to eat? Or do I even have time to eat..
Well here’s an answer for each variation.
If I went grocery shopping and have a fully stocked kitchen..this is what I would typically eat after a workout.
- Option A: 6 oz of grilled chicken / 4 oz of white rice / 4 oz of green veggies
- Option B: 4 oz lean steak / 4 oz of white rice / 4 oz of green veggies
- Option C: 4 oz of shrimp / 4 oz of white rice / 4 oz of green veggies
Pretty simple right? That’s the way it should be. Post workout meals shouldn’t be complicated. It’s a matter of switching up your proteins and consuming an adequate amount of carbs and veggies.
If I were to go out to eat
- Option A: In N out 3 x 0 burger with no spread, extra toasted bun, peppers, ketchup, and mustard. No fries.
- Option B: Chipotle chicken burrito bowl. No sour cream. Add everything else.
- Option C: Sizzlers Steak House. One thing I love about Sizzlers is its awesome full blown salad bar. They have a variety of pre-made salads, side dishes, and soup. One thing I must warn you about is that their side dishes and soups contain a sh*t ton of sodium. Sodium will make you bloated and retain water. You don’t want that do you? So tread lightly with their soups and side dishes.
If I didn’t have time
- 2 servings of ON Nutrition whey protein or Orgain Plant based protein
- 1 banana
Post workout supplements
I believe supplementation after any workout is mandatory for proper recovery. I’ll keep this part simple, Protein and Creatine .
So there you have it my friends, my complete pre and post workout ritual to build strength and sexy lean muscle.
Note that even though this works for me, it may not work for you. Everyones body reacts differently so definitely use this article as a foundation.
If you have any questions about this article or the products that I use feel free to contact me!